Home. About Us. Education. Events. Exhibits . Support Us!. Visitors.

Outbuildings: A Village Constructed

Bunker Hill Schoolhouse, Carriage Sheds and Log Cabin


The first historic buildings moved to our 10-acre site were the 19th century carriage sheds donated by the Clinton Presbyterian Church in 1965. The sheds were offered but only if the Museum could move them. Howard DeMott dismantled the sheds, Fox Lumber moved them, and DeMott reassembled them.  They were brought to the site to house the Hiram Deats collection of farm machinery, as well as additional large farm equipment and transportation vehicles that have since been donated to the Museum.


In 1974, the circa 1860 Bunker Hill Schoolhouse was moved to the Museum grounds from a site near Sky Manor Airport in Franklin Township.  Former Curator Claire Young remembers that moving the school house took several days even though it was only five miles away.  She followed behind the building picking up pieces of the siding that fell in the road, to replace later.  Some of those boards had the school children’s initials carved in them from long ago. Today the school is visited by thousands of school children annually who are given a taste of what education was like in a one room schoolhouse.

Two years later as part of the Bicentennial celebration, a replica log cabin, modeled on the early 18th century childhood home of local Revolutionary War General, Daniel Morgan, was constructed.  It took the volunteers a year to build the cabin.  It originally had a sod roof which had to be watered during dry spells with a sump pump in the river and a generator. Next to the Log Cabin is a Colonial herb garden and spring house (dedicated in the 1980s) all of which help to tell visitors the story of the earliest Colonial settlers.  


Flip through these photos to take a virtual tour of the Red Mill Museum Village’s Outbuildings.